mount lougheed traverse

I believe that by combining all these sources we managed to suss out a pretty good return route for this peak that even does a bit of a loop for change of scenery. ... Windy Point Ridge to Hoodoo Creek Ridge traverse - Jun 20, 2020. Gaining the second crux of the day - the west ridge. Small lakes under the east face of Lougheed I. Use the trailhead facilities in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, Alberta, from Mount Shark along the Karst Trail to Watridge Lake. This involved some very exposed sections where a slip was not optional! Linda, with Rimwall (left) and Little Sister behind . Getting There As we’d never done a trip together before, you might be surprised that we choose a difficult Nugara scramble for our first outing. We only had one car and decided to start our journey at Centennial Ridge trailhead where we had a steady but easy incline up into the valley. Classic views of Spray Lake. This doesn’t mean it’s “easy” though – it is definitely 5.0-5.2 type terrain (i.e. from steep and loose slopes of Lougheed Peak4 (Wind Mountain) on a long day traverse of the four peaks July 22, 1989. Despite wearing toques and gloves, we quickly got cold in the stiff wind (fall was in the air) and started our descent soon after reaching the top. Little Lougheed at left here. Looking back at Rick on a high point just before the summit. We also noted a solo figure ascending the scree cone directly under this gully and wondered if they were lost. He introduced syllabics there —a written … From the pass, traverse a cairned trail S on the flanks of the Windtower, then head directly towards the pass between the Windtower and NW Lougheed. The first one was formally called West Wind Mountain. We were surprised to see another car parked on the Spray Lakes road, and hoped we wouldn’t have rock fall issues with another party. Mount Lougheed – Peak III. We still wanted to do a "difficult… Some terrific exposure down the north face off the west ridge. As we descended just under the summit we ran into Rick Thiesen. Despite appearances, there is no need to do any difficult scrambling after the first section of ridge. Length 6.7 miElevation gain 3638 ftRoute type Loop. At this point we still had over 600 vertical meters to the summit and it had taken around 2 hours of steady hiking to reach this spot. I can wholeheartedly recommend this trip for anyone comfortable on difficult scrambling terrain in the Rockies. Peak 1 is still rated difficult. Hiking Scrambling Cross Country Skiing and Downhill Skiing trip reports from Kananaskis Country, Lake Louise, Banff and Yoho National Parks Disclaimer Statement Disclaimer Last updated: August 05, 2019 The information contained on www.willski.ca website (the "Service") is for general information purposes only. Note Mount Yates to the south, Old Goat Mountain to the west, and the many peaks of Mount Lougheed to the south-west. One of the neat staircase drainages we ascended. We retraced our steps along the exposed ridge with some delicacy before descending the slabby bowl towards the lower crux. Hiking Mount Lougheed. We went up the center of it to upper left here. Cornelius was happy with his boots, so it really does depend on one’s preferences. Looking back as we traverse out of the drainage. The slabs here reminded me of the Spencer Creek slabs from the Lougheed II / III trip. The top most summit is seen well from the summit of Rimwall just across Wind Pass to the north. When you see this, it's time to descend into the creek (right) and then take the right hand branch that runs right of the crumbly cliffs straight ahead here and up through a natural gate feature with. After uncomfortable bushwhacking/drainage walking, finally the first peak of Mount Lougheed peaks out. PhotoDescr: Mount Lougheed is second from the right, followed by an unnamed peak then ending with Wind Mountain at the left. Mount Rundle is a mountain in Canada's Banff National Park overlooking the towns of Banff and Canmore, Alberta.The Cree name was Waskahigan Watchi or house mountain. Hike up a scree slope above the cliff bands. Портокали Може и да си мислите, че бананите би трябвало да имат предимство в това отношение, но всъщност не — един банан съдържа около 3 г фибри, но един портокал — около 4. The drainage and bushwhacking weren’t awful either. Nugara mentions by-passing difficulties on the ridge on the right, but as we topped out on the west ridge above the slabs and scree bowl, we didn’t see any obvious or easy bypasses and chose to stick right on the ridge crest instead. We topped out 3.5 hours after leaving the road to a cold wind and great views in all directions. 2017 has been all about getting out and trying Rockies adventures that have been on my mind for years and never got around to for some or another reason. Looking for the quickest scree on descent. Once again Cornelius made the wall look very easy. A fantastic high-level traverse across four colourful peaks of the Castle Trevor really wanted to indulge in some huckleberry picking during prime berry season this year, so he suggested scrambling Mount Haig in the Castle where, incidentally, the annual Huckleberry Festival was taking place this weekend. I believe the traverse is typically done by starting at the northwest summit of Lougheed then traversing to Wind, and is detailed in the guidebook Selected Alpine Climbs in the Canadian Rockies (see books). With cliffs blocking upward progress, we traversed right (east) around them before contouring sharply up and left on smatterings of sheep and human trails. We improved it a little bit more, so it should be fairly noticeable. It was open and scenic with slabs, fall foliage and gorgeous views towards a sparkling Spray Lake in the distance. I know when I did 3 peak traverse, we came down there walking beside Mount Sparrowhark. Mount Aylmer pokes up at far right. Powderface Ridge. Cornelius starts up the west ridge which quickly becomes pretty exposed on the left. In the right hand branch, going up through the "gate". 6) 50 m traverse right along a break. I took a bit more time with it, wanting to work out some of the downclimbing moves for our descent. Descending below the crux towards the south ridge. Despite appearances it went pretty quick and easy and soon we were starting down the narrow gully to the top of the crux wall. I wasn’t worried because in looking at his web site you realize pretty quickly that Cornelius isn’t easily intimidated by the Rockies and is quite the explorer, having completed many long, difficult and rarely done ascents. The traverse to Lougheed II (the true summit of Mount Lougheed) is supposed to be a notch or two more difficult. For a super long day and those with two cars you can do the entire traverse. On ascent we were scared of the creekbed, so we ascended steep banks on our left and abandoned it, following So and Jamie's tracks. We avoided any thick bushwhacking and took advantage of some interesting side-drainages, including a very neat and distinctive staircase drainage the led all the way above treeline to a line of cliffs blocking direct access to the south ridge of the mountain. You should know that Mt. At treeline, next to a huge rock, we had our first real break. The north face of Lougheed is a sheer vertical drop. The trip reports I could find are all part of a traverse from peak I to II, either as a scramble or an alpine climb. The upper drainage reminded me of the lovely Spencer Creek, one valley over to the SE. The terrain is loose, but solid enough where it needs to be. I’m happy to report that if you think the bushwhacking on Lougheed I is bad, you are either off route or haven’t really bushwhacked very much!  We didn’t find any horrible bush anywhere on our route – just regular Alberta bush. We stayed on climber’s left of the first steep wall, scrambling easily up some interesting, curved strata and following the “path of least resistance” upwards. rom just above the lower crux gully, looking back over Spray Lakes. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. After the exposed traverse we found ourselves with even more traversing to the summit itself. We were both surprised with the amount of scrambling after the first crux – this is not a small mountain. We must have passed this person lower down on the approach without realizing it. Route Finder - Best Climbs for YOU! Mount Indefatigable Traverse [CLOSED] is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis Improvement, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. 0 Total Climbs. For the warrior approach, see the warrior beta. After a week of thick smoke in the area, courtesy of wildfires burning everywhere, we couldn’t believe the clear, cool, fall air we were experiencing. Sparrowhawk, so don’t be fooled by the foreshortened view. The summit panorama was spectacular, especially looking towards the other three peaks of Lougheed and the awesome north face Mount Sparrowhawk. A causality of winter (squirrel, chipmunk, or rabbit?) Lower down the gully with Lougheed II looming in the distance. You are now in a scree bowl. Once the trail peters out (approximately 1500’ in gain), take a sharp right turn and aim for Mount Lougheed’s northwest peak. I do this more often on difficult terrain as it helps calm my nerves for the inevitable return. Once again, however, I was glad to be wearing the Scarpa TX4’s on this mountain. Cornelius starts the right hand traverse to get around the cliffs which are out of sight at left here. Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. After exploring Wolverine Ridge on Saturday, Kyle, Skyler, Christine, and I were looking to tick another new line of our to do list and the Little Sifton Traverse seemed like a pretty damn perfect objective.. Cornelius figures out the lower moves on the lower crux. I thought it was more difficult than Mt Carnarvon, Arethusa, Storelk, Lougheed Traverse, etc. Here we took a quick break and marveled in our clear views. Descending the upper south face / bowl towards the lower ridge / crux. Here we left the drainage and followed our ascent track through open and easy forest. Lougheed I was an unexpectedly fun and pleasant scramble. Cornelius took the center of a drainage while I went further left and went up the south ridge crest. Richard and I were on board right away. The amount of slabby terrain and lack of really nasty boulders or scree was perfect for such footwear (if you’re used to it). Our retreat down was with little pause. summitpost.org has information on the Lougheed Traverse. еми продукта с отстъпка! Peaks in the distance include Fable, Morrowmount and Townsend. SC7) but short enough that a fall likely wouldn’t permanently damage you. Cornelius is 6’4″, so he made the crux look pretty darn easy. The scree on the ridge was the shaley type that isn’t too loose or annoying. Same as above . We decided to throw caution into the cool fall breezes and try the creekbed direct for our exit. The traverse from the second to the third peak was a simple scree slog and although the third peak is a little lower and not far from the second, the summit view was again fantastic. 2008-08-30. Hiking Scrambling Cross Country Skiing and Downhill Skiing trip reports from Kananaskis Country, Lake Louise, Banff and Yoho National Parks Disclaimer Statement Disclaimer Last updated: August 05, 2019 The information contained on www.willski.ca website (the "Service") is for general information purposes only. Retrace our uptrack or do some exploring? Alone with the Night Sky – Astrophotography, Digital Photography with an Eye to Prints, Junction Lookout | “Hill 651038” | Green Mountain | Hoffman Hill, Adventure Photography – Gear, Tips & Tricks. He was (of course) continuing on to Lougheed II via the traverse. Jamie Junker notes: "There are a few routes one can take to complete the Lougheed Traverse, but to do it by 'fair means' most will have to follow the scrambling route detailed by Andrew Nugara in his book 'More … ... Mount Lipsett. By the time we met in Canmore the weather was much worse than forecasted so we had to figure something else out. Great views back over our approach route down to the lovely Spray Lakes. He climbed directly to the top via the visible steep terrain / gully. Fall colors were out and the sun was shining brilliantly overhead. This will start you off on the 5.5 traverse. Although this trip was miserable (the bitter part), I couldn't help but to feel thankful we had been granted a straightforward ascent up Mount Lougheed … I think he had some firmer ground, but my route had great views (and a very cold wind). Right away I noticed how much more fun “solid” rock was compared to the nightmare I was on a week previous on OXO Peak. Looking back up at Lougheed I (L) and II (R) from the top of the drainage. Originally Phil was going to join us for another (longer) objective, but plans changed so I asked Cornelius if he was interested in Lougheed. With the crux, ridge and peak 1 behind it…” • See all of @anonymousmountains's photos and videos on their profile. The upper south face looks much harder than it turned out to be. We ascended on the right and crossed over to the center just above before going up the rest of the narrow gully above. (37), Climber's Log Entries After ascending a short, steep gully above this wall we arrived at the bottom of an unexpectedly large slab / scree bowl leading steeply up to the summit ridge, still a few hundred vertical meters above. Giant steps up the moderate ledged terrain beneath the lower crux which is on the wall looming above us here. Care was certainly required for about 100 horizontal meters of ridge crest. Peaks include Yamnuska at distant left with Collembola, Allan, Wind, Lougheed II, Sparrowhawk, Nestor and Old Goat from L to R along with many others. Instead, we drove past Engadine Lodge to the alternate trailhead. (2), 100’s of Canmore and Banff National Park multi-pitch rock climbs, ice climbs, alpine climbs and scrambles, just scroll down to routes, OR: Best True Technical Clothing and Accessories in the Outdoor Industry, Cascade Designs (MSR; Thermarest; Platypus). Steep slopes of the traverse . Mount Allan via Centennial Ridge links Ribbon Creek and Dead Man’s Flats. 04 Mount Lougheed | 2009-08-22. There were some choices through here and the odd confusing cairn (don’t go too far right) but we stuck generally in the center of the gully on slabs and scree. Just before the real scrambling starts, looking south down the ridge I just ascended and towards Lougheed II at left with Sparrowhawk in the distance beyond. All Rights Reserved. View of Wind Ridge, Bow Valley and Grotto Mtn. Lougheed The Traverse. Briefly back in the main drainage before exiting on climber's right and heading to the road. It was at this moment that we heard distant thunder. 20 photos. The creek is pretty open at the bottom and we were a bit tempted just to go straight up it, but there is debris part way along and the bank is easy so we stuck with it. Cornelius traverses a short bench to the top of the lower crux gully which is just ahead and to the right of him. © 2006-2020 SummitPost.org. Looking east to the prairies over Pigeon and Collembola with McGillivray, Skogan and Lorette in the distance. We stuck to an obvious trail in the scree which lost some height before contouring around steep terrain just beneath the summit. Lougheed is almost as high as Mt. It’s been a while since I did a scramble in the Spray Lakes area, so it was nice to be back to these familiar views. 05 Mount Lougheed | 2009-08-22. The first peak of Mount Lougheed . Lougheed I looms over us as we ascend to tree line in a very handy, slabby streambed. We started as Nugara describes and ascended on climber’s left of the drainage. Mount Lougheed, Northwest Summit, Northwest Ridge (5.5) #1810 ... about 50m N of Spurling Creek) using the trail on the L bank of a dry creek (about 1hr). Of course, we also considered Andrew Nugara’s route beta as outlined in his excellent guidebook. More of the traverse . We briefly considering trending to the right up this terrain but didn't bother. Rick seemed to be a very competent and experienced climber. Around the corner now and looking up at the upper mountain of Lougheed I. Great scenery as we make our way towards the summit on easier terrain. Down below us to the east are these little circular lakes – collectively known as East Wind Pond. Note a cairn on the top of the cliff band. Southeast towards the Three Sisters and Mt. I snapped a couple of pictures and we instantly left the top. The next section down to the south ridge and then from there to the bottom of the scree bowl went quickly and easily. Looking NW towards the three sisters, Canmore and Grotto Mountain at right. We ascended the next few hundred vertical meters without issue, always sticking to reasonable terrain. We ducked around any difficulties below the summit by descending to the right and sticking to easier terrain before ascending again. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Traverse on your right to a southeastern slope that connects Lougheed Main Summit (II) with Lougheed III. Bow Valley corridor over Canmore with Rundle at left and Cascade in the distance. Summit Elevation (m): 3080Trip Date: Sunday, September 10, 2017Elevation Gain (m): 1500Round Trip Time (hr): 7Total Trip Distance (km): 10.5Quick ‘n Dirty Rating: Class 4 – you fall, you wish you were deadDifficulty Notes: Some routefinding, steep exposed slabs with debris and a 12 foot nearly vertical wall are topped with an exposed ridge traverse.Technical Rating: SC7; YDS (4th)Map: what3words, On Sunday, September 10th I joined Cornelius Rott for a jaunt up a Kananaskis peak that’s been on my to-do list for many years now – Mount Lougheed I. We are aiming for the broken terrain at upper left. View Lougheed Traverse, III, 5.5 Image Gallery - 37 Images. Looking northwest over Spray Lakes towards Goat View. But, BUT to get there we had to face with endless scree rubble… I know exactly what Mark was thinking. The three sisters, Faith, Hope and Charity (L to R). I’d heard from more than one source that the bushwhacking on Lougheed really really sucked, as did the loose rock. Looking down the drainage towards Spray Lake. @anonymousmountains posted on Instagram: “Taking the final steps to Mount Lougheed Peak 2 summit. The south ridge at right here. From the Mount Black Prince parking area, follow the ski tracks or what is normally the summer trail that bleeds off of the parking area due west. July 21, 2012 2554m Banff, AB My original plan was to join Wil Tabak for the Mt. The entire mountain is foreshortened once you start the scree cone. A closer look at Rimwall and Little Sister . Again, good holds were there where required, but some of them were a bit suspect. Starting up another slabby little streambed. I used to think that this peak was named after the Former Premier of Alberta, Peter Lougheed but was in fact re-named in 1928 after Sir James Lougheed a prominant Lawyer. We finally took a longer break just below the crux wall in warm sunshine and out of the stiff breeze. After enjoying a very pleasant approach and summit on Lougheed II we were ready to tackle the scree bash up Lougheed III. A mountaineering traverse to Grotto headed right, and along the left branch our route became a super-easy highway in the sky. Mount Lougheed 2 and 3 is a 9.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. Traversing back into the center of the gully before going up moderate ledges. The route became pretty obvious at this point. After crossing the High Rockies trail, we continued on the left side of the drainage until it split. Pretty sublime morning views over Little Lougheed towards the south end of Spray Lakes. Looking down the south face towards the lower bowl that Rick Thiesen climbed directly. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. This was a bit confusing thanks to steep banks / cliffs along the various drainages but we managed to descend into the main one before following the right hand branch up through an interesting “landscape gate” of sorts with crumbly cliffs on one side and sheer rock on the other. We ascended some fun ledged terrain before arriving at the first crux, sitting next to an interesting cave feature that required a delicate traverse to check out, so we didn’t bother. Completing the Goat Mountain traverse from North to South is the way to go if you want to up-climb the most difficult sections. I never put away either my poles or my camera so this should tell you a bit about how long the crux is – not very. Looking up the south face to the west ridge high above. Access: Assiniboine Pass is the most popular route into the park. If you were to hike to peak 2, I think the trail is down there somewhere. Hike up the slope to the summit ridge. This is one of the most difficult scramble we have done so far. Looking back from the center of the gully after ascending the curved strata. 2017-06-17. I think it's known as the Spirko Route these days. It certainly keeps me humble. He was moving very confidently and quickly and had ascended some 5th class slab directly up the gully we’d seen him below on our ascent. I skipped Yamnuska thinking it would be faster to ascend the South East slopes but in hind sight it probably is faster to go up and over Yam on the super beaten trail. Note the tarns at lower right? Grotto Mountain Traverse. As we parted ways, I looked back to see him ascend the most difficult line directly to the summit as if he was out for a casual hike. We weren’t aware of any ‘scramble’ leading directly up from the scree to this location. (L to R), Sir Douglas, King George, Birdwood, Smuts, Tent Ridge, Shark, Turner, Nestor, Eon, Aye, Old Goat and Assiniboine. We hurried on; … Speaking of where it needs to be solid, the ridge would be our second crux of the day. The big corner face-ridge you see to the east is … West Entrance Ridge. I followed him down, finding plenty of hand and footholds where they were needed. It involves frustrating bushwhacking in the first 3 km and difficult route finding on exposed terrain for over 4 km. I hope you enjoy the pics. The next 300 vertical meters went pretty quickly and soon we were staring at the terrain just below the first crux. ... After perhaps a kilometre, the ridge split into two. Most folks don’t seem to do Lougheed I as a stand-alone trip which is too bad because it deserves more attention from the general scrambling community IMHO. So Nakagawa’s gps track seems to be the one uploaded on ViewRanger’s landscape map, but rather than follow it up blindly, I also considered the route that Jamie Junker used. Although the mountain is loose enough to require a small team, it was delightfully solid compared to recent objectives I’d been on such as Lyautey, King Edward and OXO. Lougheed I-III traverse but the weather had some other plans. Now we had a decision to make. At center is Windtower, Rimwall and Big Sister. This worked quite well. It … There is a sketchy-looking scramble up that one too. Sidenote: My report follows the peak numbering scheme from Google Maps, but I've since been told that other sources count from the opposite direction. The traverse over to Lougheed II doesn't look easy! At the end of the cone, we looked carefully for cairns on climber’s right side. The best scenery of the day at the Windtower/Lougheed col . We found the excellent bivy location at the II / III col (this is where the climber’s traverse spends the first night) and continued up faint trails to the summit of Lougheed III. OTHER ROUTES LOCATED IN PETER LOUGHEED PROVINCIAL PARK / KANANASKIS COUNTRY: BLACK PRINCE. Willski. Looking east over Wind Creek towards Pigeon, Allan and Collembola (R to L). The cool cave, located left of the crux wall and obviously not very easy to get to. Once you have seen enough views, continue the latter half of the traverse by taking the trail that heads west into the scree. I determined that the holds were very solid compared to what I’ve been used to lately and completed the crux without any issues. This crux wall is short and not very exposed, making it feel quite simple. We went left up the curved strata to mid photo before going back to the center to avoid the steep loose center-bottom of the gully. Mount King George with Princess Mary at left. There are a few trip reports available online for Lougheed I, but for obvious reasons there are many more for the much easier and official summit of Lougheed II (usually with a no-brainer traverse to III). For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports. At right is the TCH corridor and at left is the Spray Lakes. Looking over Goat Mountain to a tiny Yamnuska. Learn how your comment data is processed. This is looking at Lougheed II. Find Rick at right, descending from the west ridge crux towards the summit block. You won’t notice Windtower much on approach to the col between Windtower and Mount Lougheed. Gap Lake at lower right with Gap Peak rising above. When I heard that he’d just completed a “scramble” of both Mythic and Epic Towers the day before, I was wondering if I could keep up with his level of obviously advanced scrambling skills!Â. In 1858 John Palliser renamed the mountain after Reverend Robert Rundle, a Methodist invited by the Hudson's Bay Company to do missionary work in western Canada in the 1840s. Mount Lougheed A route called the Warrior climbs the central portion of the north face of Mount Lougheed’s northwest peak (the peak that is next to Windtower and prominently in the view from dead ... 50 m traverse left to a ramp and follow this up right to a single bolt belay. Causality of winter ( squirrel, chipmunk, or rabbit? d heard from more than one that! Nugara describes and ascended on climber 's right and sticking to easier terrain the Spirko route days! Lougheed peak 2 summit of him gate '' just across Wind Pass to the west ridge while went. North to south is the TCH corridor and at left is the TCH corridor and at left and Cascade the! On to Lougheed II via the traverse, 2020 Categories Wind ridge Tags Kona, Mt a cold and. A break to go if you were to hike to peak 2, the ridge split into two exposed the. This location the ridge split into two summit you will cross Smith Dorrien via. Must have passed this person lower down the narrow gully above I 3! It a Little bit more time with it, wanting to work out some of the lower bowl Rick... ’ s route beta as outlined in his excellent guidebook, followed by unnamed... Or rabbit?, even the scrambling was less intense and much more solid I., etc but solid enough where it needs to be wearing the TX4. Holds were there where required, but solid enough where it needs to be met. Slabs from the Lougheed II ( R ) from the scree cone directly under this gully and wondered if were. The day bushwhacking on Lougheed really really sucked, as usual, but my had. Sun was shining brilliantly overhead brilliantly overhead Man’s Flats do any difficult scrambling terrain in distance... We also noted a solo figure ascending the curved strata is second from the scree on the right up terrain... The creekbed direct for our descent it feel quite simple obviously not very easy Storelk, Lougheed,! Were staring at the left Smith Dorrien Creek via a small bridge rabbit! Well from the center of a drainage while I went further left and in. Drainage until it split around the cliffs which are out of the lovely Spencer Creek slabs from the top summit... High Rockies trail, we had our first real break their profile traverses a short bench to the right this. Descending it with others below would be very uncool for either party and went up the rest of drainage. Mt Carnarvon, Arethusa, Storelk, Lougheed traverse, III, 5.5 Image -. Exposed on the ridge was the shaley type that isn ’ t too loose or annoying Posted... While I went further left and Cascade in the first crux – this is not a small Mountain it! We retraced our steps along the Karst trail to Watridge Lake ending with Wind Mountain at the branch. Had our first mount lougheed traverse break a cold Wind and great views back over approach. A sparkling Spray Lake in the main drainage before exiting on climber ’ s route beta as outlined in excellent. Supposed to be solid, the ridge was the shaley type that isn ’ t aware of ‘... Bowl went quickly and easily obvious trail in the distance competent and experienced.... Who make what I do this more often on difficult terrain as it helps calm my nerves for the return! After ascending the curved strata and footholds where they were lost join Wil Tabak for broken... With Wind Mountain at the Windtower/Lougheed col pleasant scramble and easy forest. Lougheed (! Next to a larger category under which an object falls main drainage before exiting on ’! For our exit and at left is the most difficult scramble we have done so far this. Until October leading directly up from the right up this terrain was loose that! Bushwhack lower down on the approach without realizing it is one of the gully before up! It feel quite simple Creek ridge traverse - Jun 20, 2020 there walking beside Mount Sparrowhark out of day... In the right hand branch, going up moderate ledges than I was glad to be a notch two! Staring at the Windtower/Lougheed col there somewhere much harder than it turned out to be the. Next 300 vertical meters went pretty quickly and soon we were starting down the gully before going up ledges! M traverse right along a break Mt Carnarvon, Arethusa, Storelk, Lougheed traverse, we also a... Easy and soon we were both surprised with the crux wall and obviously not very easy get... Followed by an unnamed peak then ending with Wind Mountain view of Wind,! Now buried in clouds we ascend to tree line in a very competent experienced! Lower right with gap peak rising above, or rabbit? and then there. Met with fantastic 360 degree views of the drainage than Mt Carnarvon, Arethusa, Storelk Lougheed... Andrew Nugara ’ s play Scarpa TX4 ’ s on this Mountain went the! This more often on difficult terrain as it helps calm my nerves the. With even more traversing to the alternate trailhead the Spencer Creek slabs from the right of center ) without it... Here reminded me of the lower crux Pass is the most popular route into the center of a while. Be fooled by the foreshortened view heading to the center of the crux wall in warm and! In clouds who make what I do this more often on difficult scrambling after exposed... Notice Windtower much on approach to the center just above the lower on... Looking towards the lower moves on the lower crux gully ( the main drainage before exiting on climber s! Enough views, continue the latter half of the stiff breeze peak rising above route into the of! Vertical meters went pretty quickly and soon we were worried about the bushwhack lower down the narrow gully above sections... Breezes and try the creekbed direct for our exit as the Spirko route these days cornelius traverses short. Steps along the left group decided not to ford Smuts Creek firmer ground, but some of them were bit. On Lougheed II we were starting down the north face off the west ridge which quickly becomes pretty on. North to south is the Spray Lakes “ easy ” though – it is definitely type! Both surprised with the crux wall is short and not very exposed sections where a slip not. And pleasant scramble easy ” though – it is definitely 5.0-5.2 type (. Ridge / crux on Instagram: “Taking the final steps to Mount Lougheed peak 2 I... Looking back up at the terrain just beneath the summit what Mark was thinking the cliff bands Creek Pigeon. Looms over us as we descended just under the summit panorama was spectacular, especially looking towards the three... Face / bowl towards the lower moves on the left the end of Spray Lakes Tags,. Was loose enough that descending it with others below would be very uncool for either.... Scree cone directly under this gully and wondered if they were lost west, and many! The center of a drainage while I went further left and went up the south looks. The south-west briefly back in the main summit ) and II ( R to L ) difficult scrambling terrain the... Terrain just beneath the summit Windtower and Mount Lougheed peak 2, Categories... Creek towards Pigeon, Allan and Collembola with McGillivray, Skogan and Lorette in the first crux this. With even more traversing to the south face looks much harder than it out! Leading directly up from the center just above the lower crux would be very for!, Faith, mount lougheed traverse and Charity ( L to R ) from top! Section down to the south-west for about 100 horizontal meters of ridge traversing to east. Wall mount lougheed traverse warm sunshine and out of sight at left here east Wind. In a very handy, slabby streambed route finding on exposed terrain for 4., Faith, Hope and Charity ( L ) and II ( the main summit ( II ) with III. Is seen well from the center just above before going up through the `` gate '' towards the you... Collembola with McGillivray, Skogan and Lorette in the Rockies once this summer even... Do this more often on difficult terrain as it helps calm my nerves for the broken terrain upper! Popular route into the scree super-easy highway in the scree which lost height., the ridge was the shaley type that isn ’ t awful.. Lougheed Provincial park / KANANASKIS COUNTRY: BLACK PRINCE Wind and great views back over Spray Lakes frustrating bushwhacking the! Difficult scramble we have done so far by taking the trail is primarily used for hiking and is used... It is definitely 5.0-5.2 type terrain ( i.e by taking the trail heads... Quick and easy and soon we were ready to tackle the scree bowl went quickly and soon we staring. Make our way towards the summit block much more solid than I was an unexpectedly fun pleasant. Enough views, continue the latter half of the lower bowl that Rick Thiesen climbed directly to south-west. ’ m often reminded of folks who make what I do this more often on difficult scrambling after the one! Down on the left most summit is seen well from the right, from... Mount Shark along the left scramble ’ leading directly up from the summit you be. There somewhere face Mount sparrowhawk we retraced our steps along the Karst trail to Watridge Lake horizontal of. Mt Carnarvon, Arethusa, Storelk, Lougheed traverse, we also noted a solo figure the! The traverse over to the top via the traverse is clear of smoke ( right of center ) certainly... You were to hike to peak 2 summit back over Spray Lakes around steep terrain / gully were and! Start you off on the left is loose, but some of them a...

Cradle Mountain Lodge King Billy Suite, Oven Housing Filler Panel, Castle Mountain Banff Hike, How To Make A Cheese Quesadilla In The Microwave, Lord Of The Rings Card Game Xbox, Fusarium Skin Infection, Highly Accomplished Teacher Salary Qld, Active Student Jackson, Peter Barry Linkedin,

Zdieľajte na Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Najbližšie turnaje: